Lothian Running Club Festive Frolics, Beecraigs - Monday 26th December, 2016
- On-line entries are now closed. We have reached our safe race limit.
- A few places may, we can’t promise, be available at registration on 26th December 10:00-10:45
Race Day Information
- 1. Keep checking LRC website and Facebook pages in case Storm Barbara causes any disruption of the event such as fallen trees.
- 2. Entries in advance Race Numbers and Timing chips should be collected from 09:45 and by 10:45 at Cockleroy Carpark. Start Times will be on the Race Number.
- 3. Slowest 14km runners will be off from 11:00, with fastest 7km runners off around 12:00.
- 4. There will be only a limited number of on-the-day entries, available between 09:45 and 10:30.
- 5. Cockleroy Chaser is enter-on-the-day, and will start at 11:15.
- 6. Cockleroy car park is likely to be full by 10:00, with overflow parking at Balvormie, less than 5 minutes jog from the start.
A Handicap run over 7 km or 14 km, first runner starts at 11.00am; Cockleroy Fun Run (1km approx) at 11.15am
The Courses: Both handicap runs use the same, tough loop starting near Cockleroy car park (GR 994744), heading east through Beecraigs, round Beecraigs Loch, up the Sawmill hill and returning, via Balvormie, to climb Cockleroy just before the finish. The longer run is two laps of the shorter one. The route is the same as that used since 2013. There will be maps available at the start, some marshals on the route and tape at critical, non-marshalled junctions.
Cockleroy Chaser: This is a short (about 1km) run up and down Cockleroy, from the finish area of the Festive Handicap. Runners of all ages are welcome, though parents should supervise very young competitors. The run starts at 11.15am. Enter on the day – only.
Parking: Parking at the start is limited. Please do not park on the verges but follow signs to the overflow car parks at Balvormie, about 500m jog from the start. Please allow plenty of time to park your car responsibly.
The course: The surface varies, from short sections on tarmac to firm trails within the woods, to rough tracks and includes the ascent and descent (on grass) of Cockleroy. Paths on most of the course have been upgraded with only short sections which can still be very wet and muddy with uneven surfaces and tree roots in places, particularly on the woodland paths. Obviously snow will present different hazards, as will ice, if temperatures are low. On some sections there is ‘two way traffic’ – keep left and take care on the narrower paths.
Map: OS map at the bottom of the page or download here: Lothian Running Club Festive Handicap
Your handicap: Your start time is based on your known form. You will be given a number to wear during the run your start time will be marked on the front of the bib. Collect bib and and a timing chip at registration on the day.
To enter: Use the online form below, we need to know your current ‘form’ to allocate a handicap.
Online Entries closed 20:00 on 17th December. (You could enter on the day at Cockleroy Car Park up to 10.30am but we really would prefer that you pre entered!) Entry is free. When entering, please state which distance you want to run, and give some indication of your current form, eg 10k, 10 mile or half marathon time.
NOTE (added 14.12.16): Entrants to the 7km should be 16 years or older, as per UKA rules.
Enquiries: Email to Festive Handicap
After the race: Results should be available later on race day and will be posted on the Club’s website – http://www.lothianrunningclub.co.uk/ and http://www.scottishathletics.org.uk/ as soon as possible.
In the event of severe weather (which caused cancellation in 2009 + 10) please check the Club’s website for updates on the race status.