Lothian Running Club Festive Frolics, Beecraigs – Wednesday 26th December, 2018
Keep it Simple Timing Results Page RESULTS
A Handicap run over 7 km or 14 km, first runner starts at 11.00am; Cockleroy Fun Run (1km approx) at 11.15am
The Courses: Both handicap runs use the same, tough loop starting near Cockleroy car park (GR 994744), heading east through Beecraigs, round Beecraigs Loch, up the Sawmill hill and returning, via Balvormie, to climb Cockleroy just before the finish. The longer run is two laps of the shorter one. The route is the same as that used since 2013. There will be maps available at the start, some marshals on the route and tape at critical, non-marshalled junctions.
Map: OS map at the bottom of the page or download here: Lothian Running Club Festive Handicap
Cockleroy Chaser: This is a short (about 1km) run up and down Cockleroy, from the finish area of the Festive Handicap. Runners of all ages are welcome, though parents should supervise very young competitors. The run starts at 11.15am. Enter on the day – only. (more info… )
Parking: Parking at the start is limited. Please do not park on the verges but follow signs to the overflow car parks at Balvormie, about 500m jog from the start. Please allow plenty of time to park your car responsibly.
The course: The surface varies, from short sections on tarmac to firm trails within the woods, to rough tracks and includes the ascent and descent (on grass) of Cockleroy. Paths on most of the course have been upgraded with only short sections which can still be very wet and muddy especially if we have weather like 2015. Obviously snow will present different hazards, as will ice, if temperatures are low. On some sections there is ‘two way traffic’ – keep left and take care on the narrower paths.
Your handicap: Your start time is based on your known form. You will be given a number to wear during the run your start time will be marked on the front of the bib. Collect bib and and a timing chip at registration on the day.
Online Entries have now closed as we have reached our limit for safe numbers. (You may be able to enter on the day at Cockleroy Car Park before 10:30am if we do have spare places.)
We will need to know your current ‘form’ to allocate a handicap. When entering, please state which distance you want to run, and give some indication of your current form, eg 10k, 10 mile or half marathon time so we can allocate a start time. Entry is free.
Entrants to the 14km should be 18+ and for the 7km must be 16+, as per UKA rules.
Enquiries: Email to Festive Handicap
After the race: Results should be available later on race day and will be posted on the Club’s website – http://www.lothianrunningclub.co.uk/ and http://www.scottishathletics.org.uk/ as soon as possible.
Keep it Simple Timing will endeavour to post results live to their web site as you finish – internet permitting.
In the event of severe weather (which caused cancellation in 2009 & 10) please check the Club’s website for updates on the race status.
Race Day Information
- 1. Keep checking LRC website and Facebook pages in case bad weather causes any disruption of the event such as fallen trees.
- 2. Pre entered runners can collect Race Numbers and Timing Chips from 09:45 to 10:45 at Cockleroy Carpark. Start Times will be on the Race Number. Wear the timing chip on your ankle.
- 3. There may be a limited number of on-the-day entries, available between 09:45 and 10:30.
- 4. Slowest 14km runners will be off from 11:00, with fastest 7km runners off around 12:00.
- 5. Cockleroy Chaser is enter-on-the-day, and will start at 11:15.
- 6. Cockleroy Car Park is likely to be full by 10:00, with overflow parking at Balvormie, less than 5 minutes jog from the start. Please do not park in a dangerous manner on the verges of the narrow roads.
- 7. The Start is at the side of the road and the course crosses minor roads. Please take care and look out for Boxing Day drivers.